May 1, 2019 | Atlanta, GA
When Campus Servcies issued a call for exceptional student employee nominations, Teresa Weimann, associate program director for the Student Center, didn't hesitate. She wrote a nomination for Paula Torres-Wilcken, telling why Paula should be a Student Spotlight. We agreed.
Here's what Teresa told us about Paula:
"I highly recommend Paula Torres-Wilken for the Student Spotlight for her dedication and efforts to creating experiences for Tech Rec customers. For the past year, Paula has been part of the Tech Rec team and Student Center team as the Student Marketing Manager for Tech Rec. Her marketing designs focus on ensuring the “Tech Rec Brand” is present in each image; she understands the need to create marketing that encompasses the branding of the space. Marketing design pieces have been exceptional.
"While this role requires her to create marketing designs for Tech Rec sponsored events, Paula has taken on new initiatives and found ways to give back to Tech Rec in more ways than what is required for her in terms of marketing efforts. Paula took the lead on developing new staple events with monthly Trivia nights. She oversaw the logistical planning of these events including adding the ability to sign-up in advance. The sign-up in advance option was added this semester due to her seeing the need to be able to have a more accurate count of possible student interests so she could adapt in terms of adding additional set-up needs on a per needed basis. When looking at ways to gain student feedback in terms of needs and wants for Tech Rec, Paula created a Tech Rec Reddit account to meet students where they are. This led to students who may not use the space to give feedback in terms of what they would like to see in Tech Rec as well as garner feedback without having to use traditional formats like an interest or needs assessment survey.
"At the team training in the spring, Paula took the initiative to create a presentation and session focused on ensuring the team had a firm grasp on how to provide exceptional customer service. This presentation had great information and provided time for the student team to practice problem solving some of the possible problems that can arise in the space. This presentation will serve as the foundation for the overall student employee training for all Student Center employees. Paula loves building community and helping students find that within Tech Rec and that continues to be what drives her to take her position as manager to new exciting heights - pushing Tech Rec in terms of marketing to students and new event initiatives to new heights."
We said,"wow!" when we read Teresa's nomination for Paula and we decided to add to our wow when we asked Paula to tell us more about herself.
- Position at Campus Services Department - Marketing Manager at Tech Rec
- Major: Computational Media
- Year in School: Junior
- Hometown: Douglasville, GA
- How long have you worked in this position? I’ve been in this position since August 2018, though I have worked at Tech Rec for over a year now.
- What are your duties in this position? My duties include the designing all the posters and signage for Tech Rec, planning events and special, running our Bowler of The Month program, and helping in the hiring and training process.
- What do you like best about working in this position? I really enjoy when an event we throw is a success and students really enjoy it. It can be a challenge to catch the attention of people and let them know of our events in the first place, so I’m always excited when we get a great turnout since it means my marketing efforts were successful.
- How has this position helped you? I’ve become more confident in my work and ideas.
- What have you learned through working here? Besides improving my Photoshop skills, I’ve been able to develop more as a professional. This position has also afforded me the opportunity to go to an ACUI conference, where I was able to learn how to better serve our campus.
- Favorite Book? Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld
- Favorite Restaurant/Food? Colombian Food
- Favorite Spot on Campus? Engineered Biosystems building. It’s gorgeous, secluded, and has a pond.
- Favorite Quotes? "Without commitment, you’ll never start, but more importantly, without consistency, you’ll never finish."– Denzel Washington
- What do you like to do on the weekends? I like to hang out with my friends and family, go to concerts, and read.
- Who is your favorite professor and why? Michael Nitsche, because he’s so expressive and passionate about helping his students with their projects.
- What is your favorite class and why? Construct Moving Image since I was able to learn how to make digital 3D models and animate them. It’s been a lot of fun!
- Tell us about some organizations you’re involved with on campus. I’m in The Ramblin’ Nights committee for SCPC. We plan events like Spring into Spring, GT Night In, and Midnight Breakfast!
- What advice do you have for incoming students? Explore campus whenever you get the chance! There are so many hidden gems and awesome places to study that some people don’t know about.
- What would people be surprised to know about you? I have a certification for cake decorating!
- Favorite TV show? The Good Place
- What will you miss most about Tech after graduation? The proximity to all the friends I’ve made here, and the beautiful campus.
- What are your plans after graduation? Hopefully get a job in animation or special FX.
Paula. we hope you get a job in animation or special FX too, and thank you for telling us about yourself. We enjoyed learning about all you've done here at Georgia Tech, especially at the Student Center.